Sunday, April 21, 2013

The Week After Conference





Conference was so good I hope everyone was able to watch it. As of this typing we have yet to watch Saturday afternoon´s session so we have not seen Elder Holland speak yet. We keeep hearing all about it though and are dying of anticipation. We are watching it tonight after P-day. My favorite part of conference was President Uchtdorf´s talk on Sunday. I liked the quote about becoming the person God designed us to be. I also really enjoyed Elder Callister (?) in Priesthood session about aaronic priesthood leadership. But I think you can apply it to missionaries and everyone else too. The part about raising our expectations was really powerful.

I´m learning it can be fun to try and change my behavior. It can be hard and awkward at first but it´s exciting to see what we can do if we identify our weaknesses and plan out an effective way to change them for the better. I´ve been working on dilligence and humility a lot. And just remembering that I´m working on those goals puts me in such a better place. It´s also really fun here to try and guess which ¨Christlike Attribute¨ missionaries are working on. If I´m waiting in line for the showers and one missionary is letting others cut in front of him in line he´s probably working on trying to be more charitable. Or if an Elder is trying to get everyone to focus he´s obviously working on dilligence. Most of us give up on working on that attribute by 9 a.m. but it´s still good to see us all trying.

One thing I guess I totally forgot about was how funny farting loudly/making fart noises can be to 18 and 19 year olds. They really can´t get enough of it! I realized this week how young most of these guys are compared to me. They are always complaining about how homesick they are. Not that I´m not! But I´ve lived away from home for almost four years now. I love them all though and I usually don´t realize that my new best friends are all teenagers still.

I´m no longer district leader though. We changed leadership yesterday. But now Elder Cluff and Smith in my district are zone leaders, and Sister Hopkins and Benson are the sister equivalent of zone leaders. So we have all the zone power in our district. It´s weird not being zone leader anymore. I still feel like the father figure of the group, but I think I´ll survive. President Sitterud and I met earlier this week and he said our district was the most unified of any other. We all get along so well and seem to be much more united than the other districts.

Last P-day we went to Museo Prado which was so awesome. I could have spent another 3 hours there. They had masterpieces by Titian, Raphael, Dürer, Rembrandt, Tintorette, Goya, and Caravaggio. I really liked Caravaggio´s David Victorious Over Goliath. It´s amazing to think how old and well maintained those paintings are. There was a life-sized marble statue of Christ lying in the tomb, I´m not sure who created it but it was unbelievable.

On Saturday we went to the Goya to proselyte. I was with Elder Berry who I didn´t know before but he´s cool and we got along. Right when we got there we were walking up the street and I saw an older woman just standing outside of a pharmacy alone, so I told Elder Berry we should go talk to her. Neither of us know how to small talk much though so we pretty much just jumped right into missionary stuff. Her name was Hilda and she was from Ecuador. She was so nice and helped us with our spanish. She was so interested and excited when we talked to her about the Book of Mormon and she said she´d read it and try and watch conference. We got her address and email. Very cool especially because we only spoke in spanish and we weren´t too bad!

check out the scripture in 2 nephi 33 i think. its like i glory in plainness i glory in truth i glory in jesus something something its my favorite right now

 Sorry I don´t have much time to answer your questions. I´m good with the food. The language is coming along I think!

Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment