Tuesday, January 14, 2014

"I´m going to Torremolinos" [by Malaga] (January 6, 2014)

This week was really fun for the most part. We had to go to Sevilla at 8:30 on New Years day, and there werent any buses that left from Chiclana to San Fernando (to take train to Sevilla) that early, so we went to San Fernando to sleep for the night. The Elders there had been invited to a members house for a party that night, but me and elder buckway were content just to sit in the piso and play rummikub and settlers of catan all night. But the family invited us as well, so we all went. I was worried at first because I didnt want to hang out with a bunch of spaniards i didnt know, but it turned out that the family´s daughter is married to a member of my favorite family in our ward in chiclana (where we skyped for new years) and so that whole family was there. it was really fun. For new years in spain they count down from 12 seconds, and they eat one grape for every second. so you have to eat 12 grapes. It was pretty fun. We weren´t used to staying out so late so we were all really tired. But right after it hit midnight we ran back to the piso and went to bed. I have some pics of us elders eating the grapes. 

We had to wake up really early to leave for Sevilla, so we were exhausted. 6 missionaries had to shower and get ready. Sevilla was fun, but the meeting was ridiculously long. We had a talent show. We did the same banana thing we did at the ward christmas party. Where one person is eating a banana and then everyone else has a contest to see who can eat a banana the fastest. It´s pretty dumb but everyone loved it.. I almost puked from the bananas though. I had to eat 4. Then I showed my cupstacking talent, but I was pretty rusty so it didn´t go too well.

We missed our train back from Sevilla so we had to catch a train at 8 at night. So we got pack to our piso at 10:30.

Thursday a girl finished her cigarette and wasn´t paying attention and threw it at me. It hit my pants but luckily didn´t burn anything. That was it.

Friday we got our transfer calls. I´m going to Torremolinos as I said. Elder Buckway and Hermana Blake both predicted it like 5 days before. I heard it´s a really beautiful place. It´s close to a bunch of malls and shopping centers in Málaga and rebajas start tomorrow so sorry I´ll prob spend a ton of money. (I can buy ticket to ride in Málaga!!) We´re the only missionaries in torremolinos but there are 8 missionaries serving in the ward of Malaga 2. The district is in Malaga so we´ll go there every week for district meeting. The zone is the malaga zone. I don´t know anyone in the district except for hermana hoffman who is in my zone here in chiclana too. And Elder Nuñez, my last companion is in the district too. He might have gotten transferred though. Friday night we went and did a baptismal interview for a girl named M..... She was kind of a troubled person before but she´s excited to restart her life. She was baptized Saturday night.
 
I´ve gone by a few people to say goodbye. One picture I put up is of two girls (thre three of us standing up). One is A...., who we were teaching. She wanted to get baptized at first, but then realized she wanted to break every commandment revealed to man. It´s depressing I´ve just kind of seen her life go more and more down the toilet. She´s the one on the left.

Sunday at church was really good. When I first got to Chiclana I met a girl named M..... She is 16 and her family is active but she isn´t. My whole time here I´ve been trying to get her to come to church with her family, and she finally did! All three hours! I was so happy! And S.... came too, which made me really happy. S.... slowly is coming back to church. It´ll be tough because her Evangelist friends are trying to get her to cut off all ties with our church. (She named her baby Nefi, and they are trying to convince her to have the name changed to Rafael! But she refused and is keeping the name Nefi).

O then last night we were crossing the crosswalk, and this motorcycle was going ridiculously fast and we stopped in the middle of the crosswalk and froze because we didnt know what to do. we thought he was going to crash right into us, but he slammed on his brakes, lost control of the bike, and there was a car about to turn into the rode, and the bike was going right towards the car, and the driver of the bike through the bike down on the ground and it slammed into the side of the car. it was a huge accident. The two guys on the moto were perfectly fine, but the driver of the car and the bike were furious. we thought he was going to start freaking out at us, but it was like we were invisible. he didn´t say anything to us. we just kind of stood there for like 10 seconds while he was yelling at the driver of the car and then we just walked down the street and that was it. It was crazy.
 
O YEAH! best part of the week was last night. so it´s my dream on the mission to baptize a girl that looks like the girl with the dragon tattoo. We went to say goodbye to this member who was inactive but we helped bring her back to activity (she is like the strongest member in the ward now!) and she has a 19 year old daughter who is like the girl with the dragon tattoo. Whenever we go to their house the daughter is in her room which reeks of cigarettes and marijuana and alcohol. her hair is half shaved and she has a bunch of piercings. The mom said her daughter wants nothing with the church and she does her own thing. A few nights ago we went past their apartment to talk to the mom and the daughter answered the timbre (speaker from below) and said her mom wasn´t home but we could come up. we thought it was kind of weird because there was no one for us to go and talk to...we said we´d try the next day, but I kept thinking about how weird it was that she told us we could come up. and then last night we went by and she answered the door and i could tell right away that something was different. she still had her piercings in and stuff but i knew she had changed somehow. the mom invited us to sit down and A.... came and sat down too. the mom was really surprised (and i could tell pretty emotional, too) but we made small talk and A... was very involved. Because it was my last day I shared a couple scriptures. I was jsut going to share the last few verses from the Book of Mormon, but then I thought about sharing Matthew 11 28-30 as well. I bore my testimony of Christ and his importance in our life. After we said the prayer I saw A... was looking at a brand new copy of the Book of Mormon that I had been carrying and laid on the table. I offered it to her as a gift and she was so grateful!! I said goodbye to her and she shook by hand with both of hers and said many things in spanish very quickly but they all sounded very positive. And she said she was going to go to church the next week. I really have no idea what happened to her, but it made me really sad to leave. 

It was a really good week!


Love you all!  

No comments:

Post a Comment